Description: - Measure the space you have and figure out what size of cabinets to use and how to lay them out.
I used 9 Faktum cabinets in total: 4 x 80 cm wide, 1 x 60 cm wide (total width of the space was only 230 cm) and 4 x 40 cm wide, layed out as in the picture.
- Assemble all the full height cabinets. Leave the backing off one of the big ones - this will be the doorway to the storage space.
- Shorten the cabinets as needed prior to assembly. This is pretty easy to figure out when you look at the pieces, if you have prior DIY experience with tools. I'm looking into creating a tutorial for this, when I have the time...
- Lay out the cabinets. Optionally lay cabinets on a lumber footing, so they're easier to open. This also helps to attach the cabinets: you can screw them on the footing.
- Attach cabinets to each other and build an inner structure to reinforce them and to take the most of the weight of the bed and anyone laying on it.
- Optionally cover the tops of cabinets with plywood (or other material) for a sleeker look. Treat your chosen material (I waxed the plywood after sanding it fine) so it's easier to clean and will keep looking nice.
- Attach the bed on top of the structure. I used steel brackets (used them on a lot of places in the construction as well).
- Attach doors and handles. Line up the doors.
- Step back and enjoy! And then fill it up. There's more photos in my blog.
~ Nora, Espoo, Finland