Materials: 3 40cm-wide Billy bookshelves with doors, IKEA cloth
Description: We needed to create a room for our child, and decided to build it with Billys, rather than create an actual wall. So we chose to use two Billys as a wall, with one in the the middle working as a real door.
- Place two 40cm wide Billy bookshelves (or more if needed) and leave room in between. N.B. Use wide Billys to obtain a firmer structure.
- From the third Billy only take the two side and top element.
- Screw the sides to the other bookshelves through the existing holes. Take care not to use the holes needed for the door.
- Add the top element and check the structure is firm.
- Then, take a 4mm plywood sheet, and shape it to fit the upper room opening. Screw it to the wall and ceiling by means of steel L-shaped elements.
- Use plaster and paint to join the wall and the plywood sheet, which will eventually look as a normal wall.
- Add the doors to the centre Billy, then cut some IKEA cloth of your choice to cover the back of the lateral bookshelves. Staple it to them.
- For covering door windows, cut some cardboard and cloth, staple the cloth to the carbon and glue them to the window.
- Let your child enjoy his/her secret room!